RuhrCongress Bochum, 29th September 2021
Dr. Herbert Diess
Dr. Herbert Diess was born on 24.10.1958 in Munich.
He began studying automotive engineering at the Munich University of Applied Sciences in 1977. From 1978 to 1983 he studied general mechanical engineering at the Technical University of Munich.
After graduating as a graduate engineer, Dr. Herbert Diess was a research assistant at the Institute for Machine Tools and Management Sciences at the Technical University of Munich, where he received his doctorate in 1987 in the field of assembly automation. From 1988 he was head of the department of assembly automation at the institute.
In 1989 he continued his professional career at Robert Bosch GmbH in Stuttgart. In 1990, Diess was appointed head of planning and maintenance at the Robert Bosch plant in Treto, Spain, where he was appointed technical director in 1993.
In 1996, Diess moved to BMW AG in Munich, where he became head of long-term and structural planning. From 1997 he was head of process consulting – initially in the Production department, then from 1998 in the Development and Technology department. He then went to England. In 1999 he took over as plant manager in Birmingham, moving to Oxford a year later as plant manager. In 2003, Dr. Herbert Diess was appointed head of BMW Motorrad.
In 2007 he was appointed to the Board of Management of BMW AG with responsibility for Purchasing and Supplier Network. In 2012, he became Board Member for Development at BMW AG.
On 1 July 2015, the Supervisory Board of Volkswagen AG appointed Dr. Herbert Diess as Member of the Board of Management of Volkswagen AG and Chairman of the Volkswagen Passenger Cars brand.
With effect from 13 April 2018, the Supervisory Board of Volkswagen Aktiengesellschaft appointed Dr. Herbert Diess as Chairman of the Board of Management of Volkswagen Aktiengesellschaft.
With effect from 11 January 2019, the Supervisory Board of Volkswagen Aktiengesellschaft has assigned Dr. Herbert Diess, Chairman of the Board of Management, the task of simultaneously heading the Group Board of Management China.
With effect from July 1, 2020, the Volkswagen Group is reorganising the responsibilities for managing the brand and the Group: Dr. Herbert Diess will thus be given more freedom for his tasks as Group CEO. On the Group Board of Management of Volkswagen AG, he will continue to have overall responsibility for the Volkswagen Passenger Cars division and for the Volume brand group.
- May 6, 1962 born in Saarbrücken, Germany
- 1987 Graduated in Business Administration, Universities of Aachen and Saarbrücken in Germany
- 1987 Joins Robert Bosch GmbH as a trainee
- 1989 – 2010 Bosch Group, amongst others as • Vice President Power Tools, France • Senior Vice President Sales and Marketing, Car Multimedia Division, Hildesheim/Germany • CEO, Car Multimedia Division, Hildesheim/Germany • CEO, Gasoline Systems Division, Schwieberdingen/Germany
- 2010 – March 2015 Member of the Board of Management, Robert Bosch GmbH; effective July 2013 overall responsibility for the activities of the Automotive Group
- April 2015 Vice Chairman of the MAHLE Management Board
- from July 2015 Chairman of the Management Board and CEO of the MAHLE Group
- February 1, 2018 CEO of ZF Friedrichshafen AG
- 1985 – 1990 Mechanical engineering studies at the Technical University of Darmstadt, graduation as Diplom-Ingenieur
- 1990 Assistant at the Chair of Automotive Engineering, TU Darmstadt
- 1991 – 1994 Adam Opel AG
Project Engineer Complete Vehicle
- 1995- 2007 Adam Opel AG / GM Europe
- 1995-2001 Various management positions in development and product lines
- 2001 – 2004 Director Programme Management
- 2004 – 2007 Director Advance and Concept Development
- 2007 – 2010 General Motors (Michigan, USA)
Vehicle Line Executive Chevrolet Volt and Opel Ampera / Voltec Propulsion Architecture
- 2010 – 2011 Adam Opel AG
Vice President Corporate and Product Planning
- 2011 Entry into the BMW Group
- 2011 – 2014 Head of Complete Vehicle Development
- 2015 – 2018 Product Line Manager large model range
- 2018 – 2020 Head of Product Line Rolls-Royce and Luxury Class BMW
- since 1 July 2020 Member of the Board of Management of BMW AG, Development
Axel Harries is as Vice President responsible for Sales Functions for Mercedes-Benz Carsand Product Management Mercedes-Benz Passenger Cars since July 2017.Additionally, he took over the responsibility as Vice President Integrated Program, Sales and Inventory Planning in 2020 within the Production & Supply Chain Management Executive Board.Axel Harries started his career with Daimler in 1993 and held various management positions, before heading the Marketing-& Portfolio Strategy division from 2003 to 2008.After that, he became CEO of Mercedes-Benz G GmbH for six years. From 2014 to 2016,he was responsible for Quality Management Mercedes-Benz Cars, before he founded and headed the EVA/CASE division.